Best Sustainable Gifts For Men & Women
With every passing year, the general public is becoming more and more eco-conscious. Presenting your special someone with a plastic-clad throwaway gift is just not an option anymore.
Luckily, there are a ton of incredible companies making awesome gifts that won’t destroy our natural world and we’re here to break down what to consider when shopping for sustainable presents.
Sustainability means different things to different people, so in this article, we’re going to create sections for people looking to buy vegan gifts, people who want to buy gifts made in the UK and people who want to buy plastic-free gifts.
Let’s start with our gift guide for plastic-free products! (Men & Women)
Best Plastic-Free Gifts for Women
Whether you’re looking to buy a plastic-free gift for mother’s day, a sustainable birthday gift or a plastic-free women’s Christmas gift, we’ve got you covered!
Here are our top 5 plastic-free women’s gifts:
1. Best plastic-free bathroom gift for women: Ladies' Shaving Sets
Did you know that in 1990 the US Environmental Protection Agency estimated that over 2 billion shaving products were thrown away each year in the US alone?
Given that global populations have swelled since then, it’s pretty safe to assume that this number must have risen dramatically since then, despite there being a shocking lack of data on the subject.
Why not put an end to that problem, one shave at a time?
Safety razors are not only plastic-free, they’re also infinitely reusable and they just look better than disposables.
- Cheap - Starting at just £18.99 ($22.99)
- Infinitely reusable!
- Completely plastic-free
- Some people have their own shaving routines
- Can be difficult for beginners
- Takes a bit of practice to use
2. Best plastic-free gift for relaxation: Eco-friendly candles & tea lights
Although candles are unisex, a recent manufacturer’s survey polled candle-buyers and found that 95% were female.
Candles are a great way to relax and relief stress, so it’s no wonder that they feature highly on our list of sustainable gifts for women.
Here are some great options for high-quality candles, gift-packaged and certain to impress!
Be advised that soy candles always contain a small amount of oil & beeswax candles are not vegan, so our top tip here is to know who you’re buying for and choose accordingly!
- Most people love candles
- Infinite scent options available
- Great for relaxing
- Too cheap for close friends & family
- Scents can be a personal preference
- Usually gone within a few weeks!
Here are some candle options:
3. Best plastic-free gift for non-gift givers: An epic experience
Sometimes the best gift isn’t wrapped - It’s an experience.
Over the past few years, my partner and I have only gifted experiences. The pros are, they are completely plastic-free, they normally involve something you wouldn’t typically do and you can never really go wrong.
We’ve bungee jumped, been to Italian football games, had an evening of cheese & wine tasting and been beekeepers for the day to name a few.
Since every geographical area has different experiences to offer, the best way to look is to go right to Airbnb experiences and search in your locality.
- Absolutely no waste
- An opportunity to spend time with someone
- Something different
- Can be very expensive
- Tough to pick a good experience
- A lot of effort
4. Best plastic-free gift for women who like make-up: Plastic-free cosmetics
From formula testing, to water waste, to packaging and global shipping, the beauty industry has a waste problem. Estimates of how much plastic waste is created by the cosmetics industry are not well evidenced in our opinion, but it doesn’t take a study to realise that cosmetics waste is a problem.
Take a look on every supermarket and pharmacy shelf in the world and the issue is hiding in plain sight. What can we do?
Help your significant other make the switch with a thoughtful plastic-free makeup gift set.
- Luxurious gift
- Plastic-free & could help them change habits
- You can create skincare bundles
- Quite indulgent
- Some people have specific skincare tastes
5. Best plastic-free gift for a sweet tooth: Fair trade & plastic-free chocolates
Sometimes the classics, are classics for a reason.
Martin's Chocolatier have created an amazing range of fairtrade and plastic-free chocolates, which taste as incredible as they look. Since they’re sold separately, you can create your own mix n match gift basket for your significant other!
- Unbelievably good!
- Everybody loves chocolate
- Eaten within a week
Best Plastic-Free Gifts for Men
If you’re looking for a sustainable father’s day gift, an eco-friendly Christmas gift for men or a natural gift set for your eco-conscious dad… we’ve got you covered!
Here are some of the best plastic-free gifts for men that we could find!
1. Best plastic-free gift for classic men: Men’s shaving gift sets
Shaving has a ton of benefits beyond just making your face look neat and tidy. Shaving regularly has been shown to create a sense of wellbeing as well as removing dead skin and making men look noticeably younger.
Health and wellbeing benefits aside, our top pick for plastic-free men’s gifting products is just plain cool! The safety razor…
What man doesn’t want one of these bulky, metallic razors to shave with every morning?
Buy a safety razor for your dad, husband, boyfriend, brother or friend and tell them to ditch the plastic Gilette razor for good.
The black & rose gold versions have a shorter, bulkier handle which is better for people with larger hands. Alternatively, these bamboo safety razors have a more rustic aesthetic that appeals to some men.
- Stylish & sleek
- Saves them money over time
- Infinitely reusable
- Takes time for new users to learn
- They may have a shaving routine already
2. Best plastic-free everyday gift: Cloths - Socks
Socks may seem like a generic gift, but they are generic for a reason. Everybody needs socks, but they can be quite expensive and they need to be replenished regularly, so receiving some as gifts never disappoints.
Bamboo clothing has been quite a ‘vogue’ product recently, but all bamboo fibres are blended with nylon and other synthetic fibres to create soft, wearable clothes. For this reason, we’d recommend sticking to natural, less CO2 intensive materials such as organic cotton and wool. Bear in mind whilst shopping that wool is not vegan.
- Everybody needs socks!
- They're completely customisable
- Your giftee won't need to buy more!
- A bit generic
- Quite cheap
3. Best plastic-free gift for drinkers: Craft beer box
Fodabox is a champion of everything small! From small craft beer brewers to small tasty snack makers.
The great thing about Fodabox is that they pair and match what they find into gift boxes that are perfectly balanced and appeal to different types of drinkers and snack-eaters!
Choose from a range of over 50 award-winning gift boxes below!
- Perfect chance to spend time with a friend
- Easy to share!
- Great conversation starter
- Not ideal for those who don't drink much
- Quite expensive
4. Best plastic-free gift for men who like fitness: Stainless steel water bottle
These two-toned stainless steel water bottles are a stylish and sleek twist on your regular metal water bottle.
Sold in two colours, they’re an affordable gift for any occasion! All of the bottles are plastic-free and come with a 5-year warranty.
- Gift wrapped and stylish!
- Relatively inexpensive
- Promotes hydration and infinitely reusable
- Most people have a bottle already
- Only available in two colours
5. Best stylish plastic-free gift: Wallets
Most men carry around wallets that are crumpling at the seams, barely functional and bulging from their jean pockets, so stuffed with coupons and cards that they can barely close!
To make matters worse, wallets are usually made from animal products or synthetic plastics. This alternative wallet is made completely from leaves!
Unbe-leaf-ably spacious and stylish too, this wallet makes a fantastic eco-friendly gift for men.
- Stylish & Spacious
- Ethically produced
- Only available in one colour
- Quite expensive for a wallet
Best Vegan Gifts for Women
According to LSE, demand for vegan and vegetarian food options has skyrocketed over the past few years and it’s no surprise that the number of vegans has been steadily growing since 2016 (Worldwide and in the UK).
When people hear the word “vegan”, they tend to think about food. But veganism extends to products that haven’t been tested on animals and products that do not contain leather, wool and beeswax.
Here is a list of our top 5 vegan gifts for women (suitable for carnivores too!):
1. Best cheap vegan gift for women: Shower steamers
Place one of these divine little scent bombs in the corner of your shower and turn your home into a spa!
These plant-based fragrance sets come in a variety of aromas to suit any tastes and are available in sets of 4 or sets of 12.
Starting at £9.99, shower steamers are a great budget option that is bound to put a smile on anyone’s face!
- Like a bath bomb, but for the shower
- Available in a range of fragrances
- Smells incredible!
- Not great for people who do not like strong smells
- They don't last very long
2. Best vegan food gift for women: Personalised brownies
These brownies don’t just look amazing, they taste phenomenal too.
Imagine waking up and finding a brownie with your name on it (literally) at your doorstep. After tasting one of these brownies from the aptly named “Happiness Bakery”, I almost ordered one for myself!
Each oozing brownie is freshly baked and can be stored for up to one week. The perfect vegan food gift for any occasion!
Starting at £6.99
- Personalise with a message
- So damn tasty!
- Letterbox size
- Limited message size
- A small gift
3. Best vegan clothing gift for women: Kind clothing t-shirts
Sold in a range of funky designs, Kind clothing’s t-shirts are ethically sourced, vegan-friendly and suitable for men and women of all shapes and sizes.
They’re production is PETA approved and they only use Vegan ink.
T-shirts start at £19.00
- 100s of designs to choose from
- Available in all sizes
- Ethical clothes production
- Tough to choose clothes for other people
- Need to know the giftee's measurements
4. Best vegan homeware gifts for women: Recycled cotton throws
Produced in collaboration with Fairtrade India, these stunning recycled cotton throws are not only good for the environment, they’re good for your conscience.
Available in a range of 3 unique colours and patterns, they’re minimal design will blend seamlessly into any household, making them an ideal vegan-friendly homeware gift.
- Stunning handmade designs
- Everybody needs more blankets and throws
- Heartfelt and sure to be appreciated
- Limited designs
- Not available to ship worldwide
5. Best cheeky vegan gifts: Novelty mugs
Simple, crude and mildly offensive. The perfect simple gift for a good humoured friend or colleague!
TeHe gifts makes a range of vegan-friendly mugs with punchlines ranging from something you wouldn’t want your grandma to see, to cute and adorable.
Starting from £9.95
- Available in a range of designs
- Great for friends with a sense of humour
- Different mugs for different people
- Not for everybody
- Mugs are quite basic
Best Vegan Gifts for Men
1. Best vegan gift for men that love coffee: Olive wood coffee scoop
These cute little olive wood coffee scoops are ideal for coffee aficionados. Even if your giftee doesn’t like coffee, who wouldn’t want a beautiful olive wood spoon set for their kitchen!
They really are beautiful and at £6.99, they’re also a bargain!
- Authentic and beautiful
- Handmade using high-quality wood
- Affordable. Perfect as a stocking filler or gift for multiple people
- Difficult to wrap
- A bit too cheap for gifting on special occasions
2. Best vegan gift for foodies: Hot sauce selection basket
With 7 mouth-watering sauces to choose from, this hot sauce selection basket makes a great men’s vegan gift!
Crazy bas****’s range of hot sauces all contain different chillies with fruit pairings, perfectly blended to create a diverse range of flavours that mix well with chicken wings, sandwiches, ribs and anything else you can cook up in your kitchen!
Priced at £40.00
- Edgy gift for vegan men
- Crazy B****** hot sauces are perfectly balance with fruit & chilli
- Amazing taste and fun!
- Not ideal for those who don't like spice
- Quite expensive
3. Best vegan gift for men who take care of their skin: Pamper box selection
Instead of gifting a bog standard shower gel and deodorant set, why not spend a little bit more on a vegan pamper box from a small local business?
Filled with artisan luxury skincare products, this vegan skincare gift for men is the perfect alternative to a tacky shower gel box.
At just £43.99 it won’t break the bank, but it’s sure to leave a lasting impression on your giftee’s skin!
- Luxurious gift box for men
- Sure to leave a lasting impression!
- Opening experience is amazing
- A bit expensive
- Only for special occasions
4. Best vegan clothing gift for men: Vegan outfitters hoodie
PETA approved, super soft and available in a range of funky designs. Vegan outfitters hoodies are great for lounging around the house, casual dinners and taking to the gym.
Not a hoodie fan? Vegan outfitters also offer a range of muscle fit t-shirts, joggers and tank tops.
Hoodies start from £36.00
- 100s of different hoodies and designs to choose from
- The quality of the clothes is unrivalled
- Relatively inexpensive
- Too much choice!
- Limited colour selection
5. Best vegan gift for men who work in offices: Travel food containers
Not all office buildings have great vegan food options and increasingly people with dietary restrictions need to bring their own lunches. So why not gift someone you know a stylish stainless steel lunch container?
Green Tulip sells a selection of awesome containers that range from metal food jars to lunch boxes to steel bento boxes.
Starting from just £15.00
- Available in a range of different colours & sizes
- Relatively affordable
- Great for anyone who works in an office
- The giftee might not pack a lunch
- Limited colours for some boxes
Best Gifts Made in the UK
1. Best gift for craft lovers: Make your own beeswax kit
Craft gifts are the perfect opportunity to spend time with your giftee doing an activity that isn’t normally on your radar. Introducing, make your own beeswax kits!
Surprisingly easy to make, after just a few hours you’ll be proficient in producing beeswax products. Learn how to make beeswax soaps and wraps all from the comfort of your sofa.
At just £9.99, you can’t go wrong.
- Opportunity to spend time with someone
- Great for people who love crafts
- Made in the UK
- Takes a while to learn
- Not vegan
2. Best gift for relaxation: Cornish candle gift box
The chocolate was the perfect addition to a relaxing candle. Simply, tune into your favourite show, light the candle and indulge in 1 of 3 scrumptious treats.
The matches are a small touch, but they really do add a little something rustic and unique to this awesome gift. Starting at £13.95.
- Relaxing and refreshing
- Everybody loves candles
- Made in Cornwall
- Only 3 chocolate flavours
3. Best gift for drinkers: Gin making kit
Just one kit and you’ll have enough gin to last you a good few years!
- Opportunity to drink gin with friends!
- Fun to make
- Could be a new hobby!
- Not great for non-drinkers
- Requires effort
4. Best sentimental gift made in the UK: Keepsake teddys
Easy and thoroughly memorable. Starting from £25.00
- Can be a deeply personal gift
- A ton of options available
- Something someone will keep for life
- Cannot personalise the design
- Gift wrapping not available
5. Best gift for people with kids: Handmade baby clothes
Stretchy and colourful, many of the designs are made to last at least a few years. Perfect for growing children!
- Kids always need new clothes
- Handmade and not wasteful
- Cheap and cheerful!
- Designs are all similar
- Kids will grow out of the clothes quickly
*Article contains affiliate links